Unifrance, the CNC, and Institut français extend the French Immersion program, dedicated to supporting the creators of French immersive works in international festivals, to twenty new events.
On the occasion of the 2023 edition of Immersity in Angoulême, Unifrance presented the challenges relating to the export and international promotion of French immersive creation and announced, with the CNC and the Institut Français the reinforcement of its international support mechanisms.
Launched in 2018 by the cultural services of the Ambassade de France in New York, with support from the CNC, Institut français, and Unifrance, French Immersion supports the promotion of French immersive works in a network of festivals in the アメリカ合衆国.
Bolstered by this experience, and wishing to strengthen the influence and standing of French creators and producers of immersive works in the international events' network, the program's founding partners have worked on extending it to a dozen new territories from 2023, under the title "French Immersion XR."
Twenty or so events have been targeted, according to their importance in the professional network and the work they carry out in presenting projects. The mechanism consists of set funding to contribute to the travel expenses of the creators of a work selected in competition.
The two methods of obtaining this funding:
- Automatic aid offered to all works selected in competition in the List 1 festivals, for a maximum of two people.
- On request: within the limit of one request per year per work, for a competitive selection in the List 2 festivals, for one person. As an exception, support may be requested for a competitive selection in a festival that is not on this list (in which case, it is no longer possible to apply for other support within this list).
The aid granted is a fixed sum and intended for the creator and/or producer, with different amounts allocated according to geographical areas:
- Europe: €300
- Canada : €800
- Asia, Latin America, the rest of the world: €1000
Up to 4 grants per work per year.
Please note that applications for the USA continue to be processed by the Ambassade de France aux États-Unis / Villa Albertine in partnership with the fondation Face within the context of the French Immersion fund.
List 1 events
- Europe: Venice International Film Festival , BFI London Film Festival, Geneva International Film Festival (GIFF) IDFA - International Documentary Film Festival Amsterdam, and Stéreopsia Liège
- Canada: Montreal Festival du Nouveau Cinéma
- Asia: BIFAN, Kaohsiung Film Festival (KFF)Kaohsiung Film Festival (KFF)
List 2 events
- Europe: Sheffield Doc/Fest, DOK Leipzig, Ji.hlava, Raindance, VRHAM Hamburg, Rotterdam International Film Festival (IFFR), CPH:DOX
- Canada: FIVARS Toronto, VIFF Vancouver
- Asia: Taipei Film Festival
This new "French Immersion XR" fund is overseen by Unifrance.
Contact: Claire Willemin –
Short films and new writing co-ordinator: